Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What Do You Expect When You Skip?

Ok so I skipped another controversial committee meeting tonight. I KNOW. I KNOW. Why even stay on it at this point. I've missed ....what? .... three meetings the entire time I've been on it? Well to be fair, it's been almost three meetings in a row (hey, I did go to the last meeting, so you in the back? SHUT IT)

I simply cannot talk about traffic anymore in this one section of Town. Honestly, when I thought of going and THEN possibly combusting on the spot, I felt it would be better to take my two oldest children to buy flowers.

Ask me, if in hindsight, going would have been a better option?

Go ahead. Ask?

Can I get a HELL YES?

I thought, it might be nice, to wait until the baby was in bed for the night and go. Go is a relative term here. First we had to find sneakers and, oh I don't know, GET DRESSED maybe. Because it's an 11 and 14 year old thing to do, lounge around on school vacation in your pajamas (or even better, not shower for five days straight) (so not kidding).

Finally we get to leave. The ride to, uneventful. I get the carriage and my son leans over ...

"lets get your stuff quick so we can go right to the video games."

"yeah, NO, first I get what I need, then I get more of what I need and THEN, when you think all hope is lost, we will check out the video games."

~crickets~

Alright that's not what happened but I did mention the whole being RUDE thing and while I know they were both anxious to spend the money that has burned a hole in their pockets since Saturday's release of the new Pokemon DS game.

I relent. They each get their games mid-shopping. Finally we head over to the flowers. I'm beyond excited. You know, because I'm feeling earthycrunchy. The overhead door to the flower section is closed. The guy in the garden section asks me "did you want to see the flowers."

Clearly he didn't get the memo. "Yes, whatthefuck please." He painstakingly opens the door for me and the kids. He explains how the teenagers try and steal CDS at night in here and then follows us around asking the kids trivia questions (like what state name ends in "k") Weird. But whatever. I mention how I'm looking for snapdragons.

"Why so you can kill them again this year?" My daughter helpfully states.

"I did not kill off any snapdragons, what are you talking about?"

"Whatever" rolls eyes.

"Check out these Pansies." I say.

"The are all limp and dying. Why would you buy any plants HERE?" My daughter shrills.

"This is how Pansies look HONEY."

"Don't get any cactus, you definitely kill those." My son adds helpfully.

"Alright, what is going on here." "I am not the death of plants here".

"No but you had to pack up all my stuff from my room and now I can't find ANYTHING."

"So, lets see ... you can't find your DS and, it's all my fault?"

"Yes."

"And the flowers have nothing to do with it?"

"Well you still kill stuff too."

"Thanks for clarifying that for me." "Can I pick the flowers that are going to DIE in peace please?"

"Certainly."

The rest of the trip was uneventful. If you don't count my throwing a 96 pack of diapers, which jumped out of my hands and thudded to the floor, as I tried to put it up on the counter to pay.

Oh and there was the tussle that broke out in the car (back seat to front seat) because my son has his DS and my daughter did not. There might have been some pinching involved and I did have to pull the jeep over in the parking lot and lecture them both about the whole "I'm ahead of you, na-na-na-na thing".

In the end, I got my flowers and I will be potting them tomorrow.

2 comments:

Sassy said...

When you're done planting your flowers, come and plant me some flowers!

AND try not to kill them! :p

hehehehe

jenny said...

Well, since you can't be trusted to keep ninety seven cent pansies alive the kids should be thanking their lucky stars that they're still around.

Kids are much more work than snap dragons, don't they know that??

:)