Monday, March 1, 2010


I don't know about you ... but sometimes I judge a book by its cover.

Literally. I see the book, it has a nice picture or a nice title and I think, this book MUST BE GOOD. It's so purdy.

I find the odds to be about 80/20 on that. 80% chance it's decent. And 20% chance it's not.

All by my standards, of course.

So I found a high school friend had read "Life In My Father's Shadow" A daughter writes about Orson Wells. And I though. Hmmmm. Looks good. I like biographies.

I also found a book at my local Library (oh I know, Library? Book? Go figure) titled "Precious". With all the hype from the movie and seeing the lead character on a talk show I watch, I thought, THIS must be the BOOK the movie is loosely based on.

Yeah. No.

The book is painful to read through the first three pages. It's about a father and two young girls and how his life is falling apart, while a friend of his kids disappears and blah, blah, blah.

And the Orson Wells biography. It's all blah, blah, blah too. Took an entire chapter for me to say ...

Yeah. No.

The good thing about this, I'm not wasting my time, forcing myself to read something I'm not remotely interested in.

Does this mean, I'm grown-up? ~gasp!~


Amy said...

I ALWAYS judge a book by the cover. If I read the back at all, it's only a line or two (what? It gives too much away!) And so I've ended up with some real duds, too.

BUT! Some gems, too! I'm reading the Lightning Thief at the moment and just finished The Help (a gift- great book!) next will be some not-so-light reading on stuff for my job and some faith-based books, but..then...I have a few that I just splurged on at Barnes and Nobles! I'm praying they are good!!

Sassy said...

I saw Precious. It was a sad movie.