Saturday, March 22, 2008

Family Prep

Spiral Ham - check
Crunchy coating - check
Two Kinds of Potatoes - check
Dinner Rolls - check
Corn - check
Butter - checkity check check

Sanity - unable to locate

My parents are coming for Easter Dinner. They always arrived on or about NOONTIME. Which is early. Too early. If it were up to me (and apparently it's not) I'd say 2ish or 3ish or, I dunno, DINNER even. But there are issues with driving at night and my dad likes to eat at noontime and six o'clock, clearly this isn't about me.

Since the baby is feeling like a million times better and the kiddies had Friday off as it was Good Friday, I managed to clean the house. Just the basics. Scrubbed the kitchen counters, washed the floor, cleaned the toilets, sinks and more floors. I'm working on laundry and plan on doing a couple sets of minutes next so my Easter won't have these things hanging over my head.

Let the fun begin.

My brother is coming. He has been hospitalized and in rehab for the past month. Unaware he had become diabetic (which how that fact escaped him, in the orange juice and two tablespoons full of sugar he had with each coffee, I have no idea) he drove without his glasses, in the wrong direction to where he was going and was, thankfully, pulled over. It took a while for the police to figure out what was wrong with him as they initially thought he was drunk. My parents had filed a missing persons report by then because he hadn't followed his usual routine and they knew something was seriously wrong.

Now that he is (slowly) coming to terms with the fact that he cannot eat anything that equals sugary goodness and that he has to pinch himself constantly, monitoring those numbers he will be given a four hour pass to come to my Easter dinner.

A dinner he can eat none of.

A dinner, I guess, he will be sitting and watching us eat as he will have his own lunch prior to leaving the facility and an insulin shot.

My mom's answer to my concerns? She will bring four diabetic cookies for him to eat, while we chow down.

Should be fun.

1 comment:

Amy said...

For once, I'm glad I'm NOT at your house. LOL I'm kidding, I'm KIDDING. It'll be fine. He's goign to have to learn how to cope in the world, and this is a start.

Happy Easter to all of you. I'm hoping you're watching Oxygen tonight (it was on at 8...remember?!?!)