Wednesday, May 1, 2013

I just don't get it ...

The latest news in our tiny town (and by tiny, I mean this town has very little noteworthy news) these days is regarding two members of our local Parent Teacher Association who managed to steal funds from the kitty over a four year period starting in 2008.*

*note:  if that sentence reads weird its because I don't want to be found via google*

 It sticks in my mind for one reason.  Years ago I started reading this totally open blog put out there by a woman in the town I live in.  I don't know her personally but I've read tons of stuff about her children, her likes, her family and her opinions of things that have gone on in our town.  I was introduced to her in the chaos of some function put on by the group and I just nodded and smiled.  Didn't want to give myself away, where no one ever commented on anything she wrote.

So this woman, along with another parent, managed to pilfer these funds.  Funds that were for students, to enrich their learning experience.

What makes someone think they can get away with that?  I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.  This woman has ruined her life in this Town.  The other parent (who I don't know at all, and its a guy, who has children in the school system) has ruined his life too.

Is it worth it?  Was that small sum of money worth the fall out? 

Why on earth would you present yourself as honorable and trustworthy, for years.  Establish yourself in the town as an advocate for children, then steal.  What kind of role model are you for your children? 

No comments: