Monday, August 29, 2011

Surviving Irene

24 hours without power.

Let me repeat that previous sentence.

24 hours without power.

I will admit the first 8-12 hours were fun.  Lots of family time, board games, chatting AND watching the storm.  Whipping trees, swirling leaves and pelting (sometimes) rain were entertainment.

Meals were quick, like cereal and pb&f (fluff because we're here in New England.) I did break out the ham and cheese for dinner.  Snacks.  Lots of snacks.

By 6 PM, I was all out of entertainment.  The redbox movie I rented was a JOKE.  No biggie, we all went to bed early.  My teens hung out together.  My youngest went to bed pretty quick in the pitch black dark.  Candle light for us adults.  (whoowee! ahem.)

This morning I was awake at 6 AM.  Still no power.  Ugh.

The storm had long since past.  I took a drive around and saw endless uprooted trees and downed power lines.  But I saw bucket trucks.  Thankfully we have a town owned power company, so we didn't have to wait too long before we were back in business.

I love me some electricity.

Seriously?  I don't know how our ancestors did it.  Granted it was all they had ever known, but still.

No comments: