Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Little Things

Dear Son,

I cannot believe that fourteen years ago today you came into my life. In the wee hours of the morning I wasn't sure. I paced a little. I sat in my rocking chair. My contractions were erratic. I tried to time them but they weren't consistent. I finally called my doctor and he called me back to give me the green light to come in, worst case I would get sent home. Course I waited too long and you, you my boy, will always be lightening fast.

We made it, barely, to the hospital. And then I blinked. Somehow you went from 8lbs 7oz and 21 inches long (both my first and second children weighted the exactly the same, triva I don't forget) to an gigantic 5' 11" man/boy. You have a heart of gold. I love that about you.

I must admit I was feeling tentative about going out to lunch with you. It seems that you say and share so little with me these days. Although I do feel that wall melt a little when I hug you. Something I don't do enough these days.

Today I gave you a great big hug and it felt awesome. I surprised you by picking up lots of your favorite goodies at the grocery store, right before our lunch date. You were definitely on my mind as I walked the isles, you are picky but I've got your number. You declared to me that you couldn't stay in the kitchen a minute longer with all the "GOODIES" and lunch imminent (your words not mine)

Lunch ended up going easily and I was glad I convinced you to run an errand with me. I especially liked your extra enthusiasm when I told where we would be stopping. Video games have always been your thing.

I didn't mind spoiling you a little. It is your day. (plus I had to shop for a gift for you to open later on) I remember years ago when I'd already have something tucked away in the closet for you. A tonka truck or a cool Lego set would get you so excited. Now it's the idea of going to a movie with your friends. (two girls and one boy, a double date, even)

The very best part of the day (and I'm not thinking any less of the special spaghetti dinner, your own loaf of garlic bread - that you ate all of -, singing happy birthday or watching you eat a slice of double chocolate cake either) was playing Wii Sports.

I was incredibly touched by the compassion you showed for your mom, whose butt you kicked up and down the Wii tennis courts, bowling alley and baseball field. You remind me of your dad, with your jokes and easy charm. Always encouraging me and laughing at it all.

Good for you. I don't say it often and I certainly don't say it enough but you mean the world to me and I am so incredibly blessed to you have you in my life.

Happy Birthday, Bud.
Love,
Mom

1 comment:

Sassy said...

Awww that's so sweet. You're a great mom. Would you call my mom and tell her she sucks? lol