Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Well That Was Interesting ...

Some of you may already know this ... but parent teacher conferences are weird for me. Especially for my oldest girl. She will always pave the way for her brother and sister. She shares more with me than her brother so I understand her point of view before I meet with the teacher. For example, her Science teacher. A few nights of dinner conversation involved hearing how this man would share his fishing stories that took place in our Town during class. And that other students would try and get him back on topic.

I couldn't wait to meet him. ~she says sarcastically~

Then there's her English teacher. From what I understand she is sort of mean. Talking down to the class. (rumor has it that she called her 8th grade class retarded, she then moved to teach High School) My girl sits in the front of the class and is a "model" student. Then there's the red pen on her writing assignments, taking off points for minor mistakes.

So, armed with the latest progress report (A/B's, which is excellent for her, usually there is a C in there somewhere) I headed off. I also brought with me the latest book I'm reading. There is lots of standing in line time.

The Science teacher was certainly an interesting man. Short, round, gray beard and glasses. The man oozed boring. But judging by his classroom he does teach Science, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

The English teacher was even more interesting. I felt that I had met her before. And I almost want to say that my daughter did have her in 8th grade (which OIY!), before I have too much time to dwell on that last thought, we immediately stepped into this conversation.

"Hello Mrs. Teacherwhocallstheirstudentsretarded." "I'm Mrs. Mig." "Oldestdaughter's Mom."
"Oh yes. How is she doing medically?"
"She's doing good" ~I'm confused here, because I don't think I've talked to anyone this year about her medical condition~
"Oldestdaughter is doing acceptable in class." ~opens gradebook~ "She just handed in several late assignments" "I gave her credit for them, since she has so much going on."
"Going on?"
"Yes, medically." "While I don't know exactly what it is, I do know that it can be incredibly stressful." "I allowed her to hand in those assignments late."
"Oh"

At this point we review her test grades and I hear how she scored a 93% on her essay test on Julius Caesar. I inquire about the red pen and find that it is actually a pencil because she doesn't want to discourage the kids. I tell her she does not need to cut my child any slack. We talk about Honors English for her next year, a request that I have to put in and she will back up.

It was enlightening really. Which is why I go. I also like hearing about how good my child is doing. Above all else, I'm proud of her and the potential she shows for Art. I didn't get to see any of work (I am ashamed to admit that I completely forgot to ask, even though my daughter told me to ask ...) but I saw her grades in his grade book and they were excellent.

He mentioned an Art School in the city. Just the thought of it got me excited for her. In just two years she graduates. My baby. How I love her.

On the ride home I got to thinking about that English teacher and what would make her give my child extra anything. There was real sympathy there. I ask my girl about it and she was just as surprised as me to hear it.

I think she should have an A in that class. Her writing skills are phenomenal (and yes, that is my humble opinion, why do you ask?). But as always the story, she slacks on homework and it always kills her grade. She "knows" this. ~insert eye roll here~

What can ya do?

No comments: