Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Hanging By A Thread

I always find it interesting that you can just plug along and take life for granted. You fall into a grove, yeah there are bumps but you get around them, the routine just flows.

You don't spend a lot of time reflecting or thinking. You just keep going. Until something happens that shocks you or makes you stop and think ... and realize yet again how short and how precious life is.

I was doing just that until I got word yesterday that a gentleman, who I know only by the presentations and discussions he has with a Board that I do minutes for, died suddenly. I have typed quotes, drainage discussions and seen probably hundreds of plans presented by this guy. He comes to see us monthly and in the past few months it's been every couple of weeks.

He's gone now. Gone. GONE. 48 years old. A father of six children. We just met all six of those children, when he had to bring them with him for a meeting one night. Its not exactly proper protocol, but none of us cared. It was the middle of summer on a slower night, his wife was working. So in he came, six kids of various ages in tow. He made his presentation, he answered questions, he chased his toddler up and down the hallway with her squealing and laughing.

Over the years, I have seen many engineers make presentations, I liked none better than this gentleman's. He was practical, tried to be clear (as you can be when you are talking about drainage, trust me) and most of all he was friendly. Always smiling. Always kind.

While I have no idea what his personal life was like. I have no idea what he did outside of those meetings. I am incredibly sad to hear the news.

Now is one of those times when I am stopping, looking around me, and taking the time to be grateful for what I have. To be grateful that I am here to live another day. To count my blessings and not forget how short life really can be ...

1 comment:

Sassy said...

Sorry to hear that.

None of us are promised tomorrow. That's a scary thought. And yes, makes me grateful for being alive.

*hugs*