Monday, October 20, 2008

It's The Party At The End Of This Book

So if you haven't already guessed, you know, from the flier I put up in the previous post. We are having a party. It was requested because Halloween falls on a Friday this year AND, as I was told by several other Mom's, it was my turn to host because 8th Grade Not Going to the Dance Party and the Trip to the Mall All Day Sunday Party had already been done.

Fair enough.

I like Halloween anyway. As if the six storage containers FULL of Halloween decorations weren't a tribute enough. I have to keep adding to it. This year brings us a scary door knocker. Which is somewhat lame in silent mode but there is the baahbee to consider.

The baby is not liking the idea of Halloween at all. Just to give you an idea of how bad it is, tonight, we were digging through her PJ drawer picking out tonight's evening wear. I came across a pair she hadn't worn yet. It's cow print. Normally she likes cows. But when I pulled it out and held it up for her inspection she screeched and hid her face in my shoulder,clinging to me like Parana were eating her feet.

I explained it was just PJ's but to no avail.

She feels that way about her the Elmo costume I bought her. She loves Elmo but not when it is a hooded furry shirt.

Granted these days Pooh and the monkey hanging on her door knob scare her too. I'm thinking that Halloween night will be spent hiding with her in the bedroom, as SIX teenagers come in an out dressed up as creatures of the night.

Good times right?

Secretly I am looking forward to this party. It represents many things. My oldest just keeps getting older and more entertaining. Gone are the days of being moody and sullen (ok, to be fair she hasn't entered any sort of a boy stage yet so it could change at any time), she has been replaced with a Freshman Attitude which involves humor and lightheartedness.

I am loving it. I can tease her about the boy in Science class and point out how she could invite him to her party (she said No Freaking Way) but she also respects my opinion when it came to inviting one friend who is known to not participate in any type of group activity.

I often have a hard time, stepping back and enjoying life. Instead I waste my time working for those perfect moments. No wonder I fail miserably, the key is to just wait it out and they will fall into place in their own time.

Nothing scary about that.

1 comment:

Sassy said...

I think it's hard for some of us to step back and enjoy life. I too work hard for perfect moments. But that's because all I have right now ARE moments. Nothing concrete.

I hope the baby isn't to scared and can have some fun at the party. I can't wait to see pictures! There WILL be pictures, right? :p