Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Catholic You Down

It's been about a year now, that I've been friendly with one of my daughter's best friend's mother (can you follow that one?). I'll call her M.

Our girls have been friend's since second grade but I'd say over the last year we've started do more things together. She's nice. I like her. But EBF she is not.

When she asked me if I was interested in selling some of my stuff at her yard sale I said sure. And it's one of those things that when you say yes, you do mean it but the night before when you are boxing stuff up and loading it into your jeep, you are sorry you did.

Didn't help that I caught the cold that seems to be rampant at daycare either. Saturday I was blowing my nose and hearing echos in my head.

I made it through the day. Sold maybe $10 worth of junk. M's mom and dad came by to hang with us. They seemed nice to me. I had met them in passing before but actually got to spend sometime chatting with them.

All was well until the end. What is it about the end that can ruin the whole thing? I don't know either. A woman came as we were cleaning up and as I packed she would ask about some of my things and would I take less for it, etc. I admit I was cranky. I admit I had to walk away from her because it was reaching the point of saying "take it all for $2".

I walked over to where M's parents were sitting and M's mom asked me what that was all about. So I said this "well, just wait because she will be over here before too long trying to Jew you down too."

People? I said this to a JEWISH woman. Not just any Jewish woman. M's MOTHER. I have no idea what I was thinking. I knew M was Jewish. I am not generally known to say that sort of stupid thing. Yet. I. Did.

M's Mom turned to me and told me how I had OFFENDED HER. Which I fell over myself apologizing. She then said to me, how would you like it if I said that to you? Are you Catholic? I said I was. She said how would you like it if I said "how about I Catholic You Down."

I had to stop myself from laughing. I get her point BUT the statement itself made no sense. I'm not a small child. I don't need examples. I clearly understood the error of my ways.

There was more apologizing and then clean up and finally M's Mom left. I did hug her when she left and apologized one more time. It was wrong to make the statement.

So after M told me how embarrassed she was by her Mom, she went into how this woman is not above talking about or making similar types of comments, that I made, including her own kind.

My point here, or observation, or whatever the heck you want to call it, is this ... I apologized for making a poor statement that I was called out on but she can say whatever she wants and does anyone call her out?

I don't care what you say, being older doesn't make it right.

2 comments:

Sassy said...

"Jew you down"...

I guess I'm stupid because I didn't realize that had anything to do with jews lol

And you know what? She needs to relax. She blew that way out of the water. She obviously has no sense of humour.

You did the right thing, but one apology should have been enough for that woman. Pfft.

Screw her..

or maybe just jew her!

lmao

Anonymous said...

She would freaking hate me, you know that right?

Look girl, you apologized. There's nothing more you can do. She'll get over it or she won't. Don't let it eat at you.