Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I Can Describe It In One Word

Insomnia

2 AM. I just waked up. No bad dreams. No weird feelings. Like clockwork. Five days straight now.

The first night I blamed the baby, she was up, for whatever reason. Not crying. Talking and singing over the monitor in a way that wants to make you go and get her (but then the voice of reason takes over and tells you how it's a bad idea).

Next night. Baby sleeps. Me AWAKE.

Next night. Baby is awake and I hear a weird noise (the kind you can't ignore because it might be something bad). Said noise turned out to be the baby pushing the rails in her crib with her feet, while she sang renditions of "Itzy Bitzy Spider" "Yucky Bubblegum" and "LMNO B" over and over. I got up to listen outside her door and happened to catch my son helping himself to a second bowl of cereal at 2 AM. He got a whispered lecture from me for waking the baby (sometimes you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time, heh).

Last night. 12:30 I woke up and just faked myself out with a roll over and pillow fluff. I fell back to sleep. However, 2 AM.

WIDE AWAKE.

You know, I can accomplish alot of thinking at 2 AM. There is no noise in the house. I can assemble mental to do lists. I can over analyze various aspects of my life and I can think about getting up but don't. Instead I get aggravated and toss and turn because THAT is so much more productive than relaxing and going back to sleep.

Today, as I sat at my desk at work. I nodded off. Any idea how embarrassing that is? Thankfully I heard the front door close with a slam and it jolted me completely out of my seat, I knocked over my cup of water. Good times.

Since it's catching up with me (ah clearly), tonight's plan is some PM's. I hope it works because at the rate this lack of sleep is going. I will be clinically insane by Friday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I "waked" up at 2 yesterday too! 2pm, that is.

PM's should do the trick fer ya

Sassy said...

You sound like me. I am awake off and on all night long. I'm completely tired all the time at work. I hate it. Occasionally I will take something to help me sleep, but I don't want to depend on it.

I would have loved to hear the baby singing!

Good luck!

Holly said...

LOL Insomnia sucks, doesn't it? Not sure if I told you about this when your little guy was having sleep problems or not, but another alternative is Melatonin, you don't get that groggy "hung over" feeling from them that you can sometimes get with other type sleep aids.

Hope you can get some rest SOON!