Monday, July 7, 2008

Get Your Freak On

You know, I just wanted a roll of masking tape. I was on my way to take my son to his piano lesson. I left him in the car, running with the A/C and the baby in the back seat.

I went into the local hardware store. A place I frequent in bursts of several days over a period of a few weeks or I got months and months of never setting foot in the place.

I happen to go in a couple weeks ago, and then on Sunday and then today. Today, there was a new guy there. Probably about twenty. Had a blond beard but other than I don't remember much of his face. What I do remember is him catching my eye and then STARING at me.

I don't get that. What makes a guy forget completely any sense of discretion and they just OUTRIGHT STARE. The definitely stop in their tracks and sometimes, their mouth drops open. If I were a bitch I could wave my hand in front of my face and it wouldn't break the trance they seem to be in. I used to look behind me to see if there was an alien or something freakish giving me bunny ears but now I know better. Maybe I look like someone they know. Maybe I am their fantasy brunette. I used to encourage it, now I find it annoying but mostly ...

I don't get it. I don't think I'm that good looking. I've certainly seen plenty of other people worth gaping at. (note to those that stare, play hard to get its FAR more appealing) I ignore it. He snaps out of it and realizes he needs to ring me in. So he scans the masking tape and two candy bars and I can feel his eye balls boring through me. I don't give him a chance to smile, I make no eye contact whatsoever. I hope my body language screams GO AWAY.

Thankfully its closing time. I pay my cash and get the heck out of there. I don't flirt, I don't smile, I make like I haven't noticed a thing.

I promptly forget about it and head to the ATM.

As I finish my banking and head out back by the hardware store, there he is. Getting on his motorcycle. He pauses. I look down, finding the the cracks in the concrete far more interesting than anything I've ever seen. Finally I am past and turn the corner.

Course he drives by, revs his bike as he goes by the jeep. This must be HIGH SCHOOL.

Then he circles back. While I'd like to think it had nothing to do with me, there is more revving. I ignore him completely. I drive in the opposite direction. At the same rate of speed as this guy, clearly because as I was taking a left one block away, there he was again.

I have no idea if he waved.

This incident reminds me of the guy who tried to pick me up in commuter traffic, he tried to keep at the same speed with me. His timing was impressive and for three days in a row, he met up with me by getting on the highway as I was driving by, the odds of this was weird I thought. He would smile and try and get my number. I would speed up and try and get away. I must have a weirdo magnet in me or something.

2 comments:

Sassy said...

lol

Maybe you should take it as a compliment. :p

Men have balls I tell ya. One of my friends/coworker/ex-boss fiance would flirt with me when she wasn't looking. He even started calling me at the "other" office I worked at, telling me he wanted my body. It creeped me out. I told him to stop with it, she was my friend, blah blah.

Don't feel bad, I sooo attract weirdos too.

Anonymous said...

Wait...so you mean to tell me women don't like the gaping, staring, and catcalls??

Damn...now I have no reason to go to the mall anymore