Saturday, June 28, 2008

Surreal

I had to attend a wake last night. Well let me step back a second here. I didn't "have" to attend but I did feel obligated to go.

The Vice-President of the Company had his mom die this past week. I have heard many stories of this woman and while I never met her I could just imagine what she was like and what it was like for him growing up with her.

I also heard about her failing health and even though I'm not someone he confides in, he did express some frustration over the past several weeks about inadequate health care that she had been receiving.

He came into work the next day to tie up some loose ends and get the heck outta there, I don't know that I could have done that in his situation. I spent the rest of the week answering questions from various colleagues about funeral arrangements.

Everyone from our office went (read: five of us) and after eight years of knowing him and working for him, I just couldn't live with the guilt of not going even though several people told me I wasn't obligated.

Anyway, my point (and I do have one, bare with me). I rode with my Boss and his Wife. For those of you who have followed me through two previous blogs to this blog know that I dodge this man who seems to figure out where I am writing. (alright due to my own stupidity SHUT UP)

It was weird taking the long ride to the funeral home with both of them. Every once in a while I think about the post that my Boss went over with me in painful detail. The one where I wrote that his wife should kick him in the head.

I cringe every time I think of it. Yes I was mad. And yes sometimes I feel justified in what I wrote. But riding in the car with the two of them, entertaining me with stories and just sharing good will with me ...

Well ... lets just say ... I really feel like I am an idiot sometimes.

1 comment:

Sassy said...

Don't worry, I feel like an idiot all the time. lmao