Thursday, June 19, 2008

Middle Class

The weirdest conversation happen in the car. I'm not sure why facing forward in a small environment takes down walls but it does ...

For teenagers,

I was taking my 8th grader over to her best friend's house for the "Anti-Semi Formal Dance" party. (I do believe the name speaks for itself) I was giving another friend a ride to the part also. Here is a snippet of the conflab.

Scene - Driving by a mobile-home park.

Friend: Those people are dirt poor.
Daughter: They sure are.
Friend: We aren't THAT poor.
Friend: But we are poor.
Daughter: Mom? We are Middle Class right?
(crickets chirp)
Daughter: Mom?

Ok so I did answer that we are Middle Class. I didn't leave her hanging. But in my head I'm can't even fathom why they would be having that discussion.

Why do kids not come with manuals? I seem to have forgotten everything about being a teenager, yet I remember it as if it were yesterday.

1 comment:

Sassy said...

I find myself feeling old when I'm around my niece..she's 15.