Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Not Your Average Number

I finally got around to making a few inquires this week. Inquires regarding my son and some extra assistance at school. This involves something known as a 504 plan.


A 504 plan allows for special accomodations for your child. Sometimes it's to take extra time on a test. Sometimes it's for the teachers to review the assignments written in the homework planner to assure they are correct or sometimes it's someone making sure that all of the day's work makes it way home at the end of the day.


During the Individual Education Plan (IEP) process (which was a total waste of time) I had hoped we could kill two birds with one stone and handle both. Luck was not with me. They are two separate things.


And now, since I continue to pursue this whole 504 thingy. I have to jump through the following hoops (like a dog, sort of) .... (these are taken directly from the email of the Vice Principal)


1. there has to be a documented disability (from a physician) that states the nature of the disability with recommendations for what accommodationsare needed for the child in a regular education setting.


2. there has to be a "major life activity" that is substantially limited in the child because of the disability


3. the 504 team needs to determine that without the accommodations, the child would not be able to do the major life activity. The physician statement, student grades, state testing, teacher recommendations, social or cultural background, etc. are all used to determine the need for a 504 plan.


4. if the team determines the child needs, then they determine what accommodations are needed.


Just reading these gives me a headache AND (let's just say) once I complete all these, I am being told that I have no say in the determined accomodations. Something I know is not true.

Advocating for your kid is not fun.

1 comment:

Holly said...

OK, unless the laws are different in your state compared to mine, numbers 1 & 2 are NOT required for a 504, so I would check around and see if you can find out for sure! Do NOT allow the school to bully you into them! A 504 is specifically for kids WITHOUT a documented disability, whereas an IEP is for kids WITH a documented disability. I may be incorrect, but that's how it was explained to me when we were going through the steps for a 504 for my son, so just double check with maybe your doctor or even legal aid in your area! Good luck!
***huggles***